11 March 2009

What Is Ink Monkey?

Greetings!

If you're a writer, you will truely understand what I'm about to say next. Getting published is sometimes harder than finding needles in haystacks. Especially if you're a genre writer.

I'll admit it. It didn't take too many rejections and "literary fiction only, no genre" notes for me to get fed up with most of what was out there. Is there really anything that wrong with the occational mystery? Can't sci-fi and romance coexist?

So, I toyed with the idea for quite a while. The final straw came when I showed a rejection letter to a published author friend of mine who started poking fun at the gramatical errors in the note. You know, I'll totally admit to not being perfect. I'll even admit that you're going to find the occational spelling mistake, typo or wrongly placed comma on here in the blog. But in the rejection letter? Not a chance.

Businesses need to be run professionally, and that is what Ink Monkey is - a business dedicated to the advancement of the writer.

I can accept the fact that we're not all going to be the next John Grisham. I'll settle for the next Eric Wilson or Jeff Markowitz. Because of that, I started this magazine will help all the other small time writers out there realize their dreams as well.

There it is, the dream and realization of Ink Monkey. In case you couldn't already tell, I'm doing this with a next to nothing budget. For now, Ink Monkey will be published twice a year for $10 an issue.

Watch this space for more updates.

~Mandi M. Lynch, editor
Ink Monkey Magazine

No comments:

Post a Comment